Sunday 19 February 2017

Overcoming Indecisiveness

Tomorrow is the first day of sixth semester of bachelors in business administration studies and as a student, I am expected to choose between HR and finance. Yet here I am, not knowing what to do. Even though i have been thinking about this day and night for the past two weeks. I've also read countless articles about which is better for someone like me, and asked for suggestions from friends and family. The problem still persists.

Indecisiveness is my worst quality and it has caused me many problems, big and small, over the years. Being afraid of making the wrong decision is what gets me each time I have to choose between two or more options. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that one should not be worried making the right decision, but being so worried that it causes delays in your decision making process is something that should be avoided as much as possible.

Usually, I am able to take decisions for myself. But when it comes to taking decisions that can have an impact on other people, that is where the indecisiveness kicks in. For example when going out for dinner with my family, when my father asks me which restaurant we should go to, I am unable to give a proper answer. The reason is that I worry that the restaurant I choose, might not be preferred by my siblings. This usually ends up in me giving my answer as merely a suggestion and not the final decision.

Fortunately, over the years I have tried and succeeded in overcoming my indecisiveness. I haven't completely overcome it, I don't think anyone can be one hundred percent sure of something when making a decision, especially when it's a major issue. But I have seen a considerable reduction in the times I've found myself being indecisive.

The trick is simple, trust your instincts. All the math and facts and figures tell you that A is the right thing to do, but your gut tells you to go with option B. In this case, go with option B (unless it is illegal). If your gut tells you to do something, there might be a reason why, you just might not know it. But be sure to have a look on your past experiences of following and not following your intuition. More positive experiences resulting from making decisions based on your instincts can be a green signal for you to go with what your gut is telling you to go with.

Another tip is to have confidence in yourself. Which is closely related to the third tip, trust yourself. Believe in yourself. You know yourself better than anyone else does. You know your life better than anyone else does. Only you can fully understand the situation you are in which requires you to make a decision. That is why you are the best individual to make the decision. If you are fully aware of the entire situation and have full knowledge of the outcomes of each decision that you make (tip 4! Get complete information about the issue at hand), then there is no way that your instincts will tell you to do something that isn't good for you. This is why trusting yourself is of utmost importance.

Indecisiveness is something no one wants to deal with, but everyone has dealt with it at some point in their lives. If you're indecisiveness, don't lose hope, deciding that you are indecisiveness is proof that you can make decisions. Following your intuition and trusting that you can make the right decision, is the first step towards overcoming indecisiveness. Like every philosopher says, follow your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment